Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders Missoula Montana

Domestic Abuse Restraining Order Missoula Montana

Representing Victims of Domestic Violence

At the Judnich Law Office, we are proud to provide compassionate and respectful legal representation for victims of domestic violence. Our office is a safe space where you and your family will be able to share your story and receive the best legal representation in all of Montana.

Your safety and the safety of your children and family are our utmost concern. The physical, psychological, and emotional effects of domestic violence are staggering. Domestic violence is a terrible crime and its effects are not always immediately known. Feelings of confusion, sadness, anger, and shame are common among victims of domestic violence.

You may not know who to turn to for answers or help. You may not know your rights or what you should do to protect yourself and your family. You may have questions about how filing for a restraining order can affect parental custody and visitation rights, child support, or divorce proceedings.

That’s why you need a legal team you can trust to protect your rights and the rights of your family. That’s why you need help from the family law experts at the Judnich law Office.

What is Domestic Violence?

In the state of Montana, a person is eligible to apply for a restraining order, also known as an order of protection, if you are reasonably afraid of being harmed by a family member or if a family member has committed a crime against you.

Crimes that qualify as domestic abuse in Montana include, but are not limited to:

  • Assault and aggravated assault
  • Kidnapping
  • Stalking
  • Intimidation
  • Sexual assault
  • Incest
  • Criminal endangerment

Restraining Orders: Protecting You & Your Family

We’ll help you file the initial paperwork with the proper law enforcement authorities. This is known as a temporary order of protection and is valid for 20 days, until a hearing can be held.

A hearing, in front of a judge, will allow you and your abuser to tell your stories and will determine if a final order of protection is warranted. We can represent you at this hearing and make sure your rights are protected throughout the process.

We can also help you understand your rights moving forward and provide you with the resources you need to enforce your order of protection.

Orders of protection are available for all people of all genders who are victims of domestic abuse. You do not have to be married, live with a partner, or be in a relationship with your abuser in order to file a restraining order.

You should also know that as a parent or guardian of a child under 16 years of age, you are able to file for an order of protection on that child’s behalf. This process can be complicated if the abuser is also a parent or guardian of the child, so it is best to ask us if you have any questions.

Out of State Restraining Orders

If you’re a new resident of the state of Montana and you have a current restraining order from your previous state of residence, that order is still enforceable. This is due to the Violence Against Women Act, which ensures that all states honor and enforce all restraining orders, even those from other states.

However, if at some point in the future you need to amend, extend, or otherwise change an out of state order, you must file for a new order of protection with the state of Montana.

Additionally, you should know that if you were granted temporary custody as part of an out of state protection order, that order remains valid. However, if you have any questions, please get in touch with us.

About Judnich Law

Our team of family law experts have been providing outstanding legal representation to the people of Montana for nearly 20 years. We’ve helped countless families and individuals through difficult times and pride ourselves upon providing a safe, comfortable, trusting environment for all of our clients.

Contact Us

We’re available to answer your questions and provide an initial consultation at no charge to you.

If you need help filing for an order of protection, or if you or a member of your family has been the victim of domestic violence, please get in touch with us. You can call us at (855) 853-1482.

If you or a family member are in immediate danger, please call 911 for help.

When You’re Ready, We’re Here to Help

Judnich Law TeamWe’ve been helping couples come to peaceful resolutions for over 15 years.

Contact Us